Skip to main content

Some hoops are not a fashion statement.

...the M to F thing is one of them!



"Dear Sir,"

This has been the greeting on recent letters from the Canadian Revenue Agency. I placed a call to the CRA to object to the greeting and to request they update their information. The person I spoke to was very helpful but was unable to change the gender marker in the computer. This was not an option she could access. She gave me another 1-800 number to call. After wading through the menu options and waiting on queue long enough to hear the "due to heavy volumes…" blurb several dozen times, I finally spoke to a real person who listened to my request and politely informed me I had to call another government office.

After another 1-800 routine that lasted another twenty minutes, I learned I had to contact yet another office and after over one hour of phone calls I was finally given instructions for what I had to do. This insignificant one-letter-change could only be done by going in person to a Canada Services office and I would need to bring my Canadian citizenship card, my passport—both of which show my gender as female—and my Social Insurance card.

This morning, after a short wait in the reception area of the Canadian Services office in Burnaby, I was finally able to get this gender thing updated in the government's central registry. I asked the representative if this would now affect all future correspondence with federal agencies. His answer: "It won't be instant, this could take months for all computer accounts to be updated." This young man had not processed this kind of request before and asked for permission to ask me some questions, a detail I greatly appreciated. He wanted to know if I had been required to have surgery before I was given a new citizenship card, which of course is what I had to do.

Canada has come a long way, but the fact I had already undergone a legal name change and had met the requirement for getting the M changed to F when my citizenship card was reissued, how is it that this information did not also affect the central registry? How many hoops does one need to jump through in order to be recognized officially as the gender of your identity? And what about all those transgender persons who choose not to have the surgery or are not allowed to have the surgery for medical reasons, or who are waiting to have surgery in the future? Why can't the process be less onerous and demanding? Such minor aspect of transition, yet one that seems to cause so much angst.

I can't wait to start getting a letter with "Dear Madame" as the greeting. Any bets as to how long this might take?


Will you comment and/or share this post? (thank you!)

Popular posts from this blog

Behind the scenes of "Ask a transgender Christian"

A young woman I greatly admire is Rachel Held Evans. She is an amazing author, blogger, speaker, wife, mother and a seriously articulate Evangelical Christian who is not afraid to enter into conversations that would make many others run and hide in their little dogma houses.

Earlier in September of 2012, Rachel contacted me to see if I would be willing to be interviewed as part of her popular blog series titled "AKS A…" Would I be willing to be the target for "Ask a Transgender Christian?"My new friend Justin Lee, executive director of the Gay Christian Network (GCN) and author of the soon to be released book"Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate" suggested me as the person to ask. (In the same way, Justin is the person Rachel chose for the "Ask a Gay Christian" interview.

Having followed Rachel for several months, my initial reaction to her email was one of disbelief and trepidation, given the level of intellectual and t…

Cats and dogs seem to matter more to the ruling BC Liberals than trans persons.

The Apparent Hypocrisy of British Columbia’s Elected Liberal Government
The same week that Transgender advocates and allies stood in front of the BC Legislature in support of the introduction of a private member’s bill aimed at protecting the rights of transgender people, the BC Liberal Government announced an order-in-council that adopts the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association’s Codes of Practice for both kennel and cat breeding.

Indeed, this is very good news for dogs and cats in British Columbia.
Yet, this same Government has sat intentionally on it’s laurels, refusing to pass an exact version of the “trans rights bill” on three previous occasions. This is the fourth time the Honourable Spencer Chandra Herbert, MLA for Vancouver-West End, introduces this bill. The bill would amend the BC Human Rights Code (BCHRC) to include “gender identity and gender expression.”
Having “gender identity and gender expression” included in the BCHRC will afford increased protection, safety, and …

Witnessing a Birth of Sorts

When the moment to start life anew comes, it usually happens in the quietness of one's spirit. Yesterday, February 21, 2012 will mark the moment my friend Tori took that step in the most unassuming way.

In 1999, about the time I was being assessed and diagnosed at the Vancouver Hospital's Gender Clinic, I made a couple of calls to a support group in the area. Their brochure listed a phone number and stated calls could be made on Thursday nights if you needed to speak to someone, otherwise you could leave a message and someone would get back to you. The woman who answered was friendly and explained the purpose of the group an how one would go about attending their meetings and other events. Membership was reserved for those who had been vetted and approved by the membership committee. Confidentiality and security of personal information was very high on the group's priority list.

Given the group's stated purposed was to provide a safe place for heterosexual men to cross…