Skip to main content

What Am I Going to Do Now?

Surprise! I don't know.

How's that for a non-starter?

Here is the thing. I have been living in Vancouver since June 23, 1973. In October 1974 I married the most amazing young woman. I met her in California in December, 1971 at a Bible study. in 1976 we started a family and raised three sons; we were married for thirty seven years. 

My purpose in life for all those amazing years was to be the best husband and father I possibly could be. I hope I'm not deluding myself by thinking I did a pretty good job; yet I know I could have done better.

The reality that stares me in the face today is that I am single once again and this causes me to feel unmoored most of the time. When one has spent such long time together with your best friend, it is easy to take for granted how that person completes you.

When a relationship ends, I have been told a thousand times, it can be as traumatic and painful as experiencing the death of a loved one. Sometimes death would have been preferable to divorce; at least there is a sense of finality, but when the other person is still around and still enters into one's fly zone, the pain erupts all over again. This is not my observation, I heard it in a movie once. Okay not the fly zone part, but you know what I mean.

Where am I going with this?

I've been reluctant to loosen my grip on the rope that no longer moors me. I've been holding on to too much stuff, both materially and emotionally and their combined weight has been causing me to list dangerously. I need to let go. The two full storage pods need to be emptied and I need to purge. Furniture and household goods that once filled a four bedroom townhouse need to go away. I need to sell, give away, or dispose of a lot of stuff (and that is what it is, stuff) or sink.

2012 was not my best year to date. It started with the painful aftermath of the most painful Christmas for me on record; it was the first time my wife and sons celebrated Christmas without me. Work wise, I was severely underemployed and my free-lance graphic design practice barely produced enough for me to meet the monthly expenses. I decided to look for full-time work and sent out dozens of resumes. I only got one interview, but no job. I'm still looking, still sending out resumes, still hoping.

I don't like the fact that I allow my circumstances to affect me the way they do, but they do! Damn it.

Let me see how many more metaphors I can employ in this happy rant.

It is a happy rant, if there is such a thing. I just returned from a conference which God used to affirm me; that was my experince. I won't bore you with the details, but I will leave you with this final metaphor: I feel as if He is standing behind me and has placed his hands on my shoulders and is telling me to keep taking small steps into the thick fog in front of me, that He is with me and won't let me fall.

So here I go into 2013, taking one step after another into a thick fog with a renewed sense of calmness.


Popular posts from this blog

Behind the scenes of "Ask a transgender Christian"

A young woman I greatly admire is Rachel Held Evans. She is an amazing author, blogger, speaker, wife, mother and a seriously articulate Evangelical Christian who is not afraid to enter into conversations that would make many others run and hide in their little dogma houses.

Earlier in September of 2012, Rachel contacted me to see if I would be willing to be interviewed as part of her popular blog series titled "AKS A…" Would I be willing to be the target for "Ask a Transgender Christian?"My new friend Justin Lee, executive director of the Gay Christian Network (GCN) and author of the soon to be released book"Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate" suggested me as the person to ask. (In the same way, Justin is the person Rachel chose for the "Ask a Gay Christian" interview.

Having followed Rachel for several months, my initial reaction to her email was one of disbelief and trepidation, given the level of intellectual and t…

Cats and dogs seem to matter more to the ruling BC Liberals than trans persons.

The Apparent Hypocrisy of British Columbia’s Elected Liberal Government
The same week that Transgender advocates and allies stood in front of the BC Legislature in support of the introduction of a private member’s bill aimed at protecting the rights of transgender people, the BC Liberal Government announced an order-in-council that adopts the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association’s Codes of Practice for both kennel and cat breeding.

Indeed, this is very good news for dogs and cats in British Columbia.
Yet, this same Government has sat intentionally on it’s laurels, refusing to pass an exact version of the “trans rights bill” on three previous occasions. This is the fourth time the Honourable Spencer Chandra Herbert, MLA for Vancouver-West End, introduces this bill. The bill would amend the BC Human Rights Code (BCHRC) to include “gender identity and gender expression.”
Having “gender identity and gender expression” included in the BCHRC will afford increased protection, safety, and …

Witnessing a Birth of Sorts

When the moment to start life anew comes, it usually happens in the quietness of one's spirit. Yesterday, February 21, 2012 will mark the moment my friend Tori took that step in the most unassuming way.

In 1999, about the time I was being assessed and diagnosed at the Vancouver Hospital's Gender Clinic, I made a couple of calls to a support group in the area. Their brochure listed a phone number and stated calls could be made on Thursday nights if you needed to speak to someone, otherwise you could leave a message and someone would get back to you. The woman who answered was friendly and explained the purpose of the group an how one would go about attending their meetings and other events. Membership was reserved for those who had been vetted and approved by the membership committee. Confidentiality and security of personal information was very high on the group's priority list.

Given the group's stated purposed was to provide a safe place for heterosexual men to cross…